15/12/2011

Creative Review-- The Hunger Games


I hadn’t read a fictional book in a very long time, until recently that is. I’d noticed a lot of hype about a film coming out next year called “The Hunger Games” and it seems to have attracted a pretty big fan-base already. So I did a little research, found out that it was the first in a series of books, and began reading.

One negative before I get to the good stuff: this was the first time I’d ever read a book on my mac, and not held it physically. I didn’t like that aspect, and maybe it needs a little getting used to but I think it might have dampened my reading experience a bit.

Now, the good points. This is a very interesting story. There is a love story told over the series that you see the beginnings of in the first book (the only one I’ve read) but that part didn’t interest me too much. It was the world it was set in. Kind of like 1984 where everyone is controlled by government, they live in separate districts depending on profession, and every year to keep control of the districts the government introduces “The Hunger Games” where two teenagers from each of the 12 districts must fight in the arena, until there is one winner.

The storytelling is great; as I read it I can see the events unfold, I feel the main protagonists emotion, whether it be anger, confusion or love. There is a balance between action and interaction, a great cast with interesting personalities, and the underlying political messages that The Hunger Games is more than just a year long event in the arena is spread throughout the whole book.

Now I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series and can’t wait for the film!

No comments:

Post a Comment