15/12/2011

Portfolio Visit-- Thoughtful

Today I headed down to design company “Thoughtful” to show off my portfolio for the first time ever! After giving us a helpful and portfolio-inspiring talk the previous week, Stuart, who is part of the company agreed to let me come visit.

Before my appointment I have to admit I was really nervous. It was my first time showing this portfolio to anybody outside the classroom; in fact, after I’d made quite a few changes in the morning concerning the layout and presentation, Stuart was the first to see this version. So for me this meeting was a kind of personal test of how well I’d accomplished so far in the year.

After brief introductions, I put the nerves to the back of my mind and presented, keeping in mind all of the advice Stuart mentioned in his talk. He made some great comments about my work, both on what aspects he liked and what he’d like to see more of. I was happy to hear that he was a fan of my developing style and would like to see what the future holds as he could tell I was still growing. He also mentioned that he could see a commercial aspect to my work, was fantastic to hear! We looked through each piece and I talked him through each piece, which I found was a lot easier than I thought it would have been for some reason.

On a portfolio-inspecting level, he liked that I’d kept it simple. He liked that I’d cropped my work and added it to the bottom of each page with a small description, to which I could then elaborate. Advice he gave me (which I have avidly taken on board) was to maybe make an introduction page instead of sticking an image there, and that it would be good to see more of my work in context; spread it out more to give it all room and let it speak for itself!

Thanks Stuart!

No comments:

Post a Comment