10/05/2012

Personal Development


Doing a degree at university for me is all about development, as a creator but also as a person. I feel that while I have shown my skills in Illustration and design in the classroom, maybe not always to the top of my potential, a lot of people have yet to see how I have developed over the last few years, especially in my final year. It is also something that I need to evaluate myself.

The third year of the course has really tested me in many ways. I think this is the year that I’ve changed the most, and I have learned a lot about myself and the people around me. I know that this is going to be an ongoing thing, because as the environment changes, and as I change, I will inject this into my work.

My FMP was about dreams, and I chose this subject matter because it was an attempt to communicate my subconscious to the world. Since I have trouble communicating with people I thought that it would be a good starting point for me to show an audience what I’m like.

I’m finally finished with burning the candle at both ends, so to speak, where my social life hinders my working life. It has come a little later than it might for most, but I guess it just took me a little longer to realize that I can’t do everything I want at the same time. I need to rest sometimes.

I’ve been through a lot of low points this year as well. My best friend died right at the beginning of the year, and I dealt with that in a bad way, and then when I started battling with my depression, it took a long time for me to ask for help. I should have used the negativity in this in a creative way but I used it destructively. However, this has been the year I’ve been broken and learning to rebuild, something I’ve never had to do before.

I’m using this post to basically highlight the fact that a great many factors are involved in assessing yourself whatever you go through, but there comes a time when you need to use your experiences in the past for the better, and channel yourself into being a stronger person.


No comments:

Post a Comment